F7 intel ich5, alsa, device busy

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed May 14 19:57:24 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: F7 intel ich5, alsa, device busy
From: Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora Core
<fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 05/14/2008 02:34 PM
> So I select reload audio drivers.  This of course requires a
> reboot and then we're good for another few minutes until the audio
> driver/device becomes busy again.

The sound card config app is useless. Tell the user to ignore it.

 > What is
 > the best option here for sound on this laptop?

1) Use lsof on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p to see if anything is grabbing onto it.

2) Upgrade to Fedora 9
# rpm -Uhv fedora-release-9.0-2.noarch.rpm
# yum update

You may say "this is not an option" but there is no other way to get an
updated driver for your system unless you want to manually install an F8
or F9 kernel (not recommended). Plus, PulseAudio (in F8 and now F9) may
help alleviate his problem.