F9 potential service network bug?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue May 20 00:09:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > ONBOOT=yes
> >
> > To me it looked like despite being confgured with BOOTPROTO=static, the
> > avahi daemon and NetworkManager got started, and one of them started
> > doing dhcp. The static IP did appear as an additiona IP on the eth1
> > interface, but since the DHCP was the main address, my public ip address
> > changed.
>
> ONBOOT=no means that NM won't try to automatically bring it up. That
> may be what you're seeing.

Are you saying that ONBOOT= changed its meaning from "start at boot or not"
to "start at boot, but either with NM or without" ?

What combination of BOOTPROTO= and ONBOOT= will both "start on boot" and
"not use NM"? BOOTPROTO=static and ONBOOT=no. That would be odd (and breaking
the API for ONBOOT without a proper migration on update)

Paul