F8 -> F9 but keeping KDE3: technically feasible?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:12:06 UTC 2008

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> do you think it can be possible to upgrade a F8 to F9 with
> exclusion of the KDE packages?
>
> My idea would be to keep qt, qt4 and kde* packages from F8,
> and upgrade all the rest.
> Will I run into serious issues about collateral dependencies,
> e.g. pulseaudio<->artsd, NM, misc dbus/hal things, etc...?
>
> What is the best way to attempt such a thing?
> Can I run anaconda in a "minimal" mode to upgrade
> only the basic stuff and then proceed with yum?
> Upgrade F8->F9 exclusively via yum?
>
> Hints kindly accepted.

I believe you would have to go about this by running several (maybe many) yum
upgrades separately.  There is no good way to get that upgrade done with
anaconda.  You would need to construct some careful excludes for those yum
upgrades so it would force those packages, and anything that depend on them, to
get skipped.  It probably will not be pretty.. it probably will take you forever
to work through the upgrade.. and it will probably cause lots of packages to
fail for deps.  You're going to end up with a hybrid of F8/F9 that might be
mostly F8 (at least as far as the kde apps or anything qt based are concerned
you won't upgrade anything).  You might run into issues due to glibc and the gcc
  change that will stop you cold, I don't know.  Best way to find out is try
running some yum commands without confirming the changes and see what a messy
list of dependency problems you get.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29