Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 20 21:53:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Christopher Stone
<chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:23:47PM -0400, Jason Tang wrote:
>>> The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
>>> nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
>>> non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
>>> confidence in the dev team.
>>>
>>> Most users could care less about supposed 'valid' reasons - that fact
>>> is: No 3D acceleration == No F9 adoption (or worse, an eroding user
>>> base).  Lets not play this game with F10.
>>
>> Well I'm an Intel & Radeon user and Xorg in F9 is dramatically better
>> better for all my machines. So, yes, if new code improves life for the
>> open source drivers, lets do this again & again in future releaes. I don't
>> want my desktop experiance held hostage by one company with binary drivers.
>> I chose hardware which is supportable so I can get the best & latest open
>> source has to offer.
>
> Why the H.E. double hockey sticks do people think proving
> compatibility packages for nVidia users will somehow hold the desktop
> hostage for everyone else?
>
> I do not understand why ajax could not provide compatibility rpms for
> nVidia users?  Is he not paid by redhat?  I mean just how difficult
> can it be to provide F8 xorg rpms on F9 for nVidia users??

He is paid by Red Hat to work on X, not to be your personal slave. You
want that find out what it costs first.. I am guessing around
100k/year for that kind of nightmare. Otherwise stay with F8 until
your card is supported. Especially since he would need to make sure
that pretty much every X app is compiled twice with one with the old
API and one with the new one.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux