Glitch-Free PulseAudio in Rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue May 20 23:16:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 20.05.08 18:00, Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) wrote:

> Bugs happen. The manner in which you recover from them is the difference
> between getting useful bug reports and getting flamed to hell and back on
> every mailing list and blog in existence and making the entire distribution
> look bad.

Did I miss something? Shall I take that as an insult? The only one
who's flaming me here is ... you! Please find some other place to
troll, you are way out of line.

> This situation seems entirely recoverable to me. Why can't the clients wait
> around and simply reconnect to the daemon and continue when it comes back
> again? Sure, there would be a temporary glitch. Temporary is good. A
> temporary glitch is far preferable to permanent brokenness, like things just
> no longer working with no indication of what happened or how to proceed to
> fix it. A temporary glitch is ignorable. Yet it is still a glitch, so a user
> with time on their hands can make the *choice* to stop and investigate
> further. Taking away that choice takes away the user's control. Taking
> control away from the user makes the user unhappy. Unhappy users go out on
> mailing lists and blogs and endlessly flame you.

Aua. I guess you understimate the complexity of something like
this. And how error-prone and thus counterproductive for what you want
to do a scheme like this would be. Sorry, but this is not going to
happen, makes no sense.

Lennart