Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 20 23:47:34 UTC 2008

Erich Zigler wrote:

> I see and agree with the point of not being held hostage by a vendor,
> and there is no winners here. Only losers and those losers are the
> Fedora users who depend on the nvidia drivers

Yes. Once users start depending on proprietary drivers, they have
already lost the game. I am reminded of this discussion from Linus.

http://lwn.net/1999/0211/a/lt-binary.html

"Basically, I want people to know that when they use binary-only
modules, it's THEIR problem.  I want people to know that in their bones,
and I want it shouted out from the rooftops.  I want people to wake up
in a cold sweat every once in a while if they use binary-only modules."

Rahul