Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jason Tang jtang at magma.ca
Tue May 20 23:52:24 UTC 2008

Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:23 -0400, Jason Tang wrote:
>
>> The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
>> nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
>> non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
>> confidence in the dev team.
>>
>> Most users could care less about supposed 'valid' reasons - that fact
>> is: No 3D acceleration == No F9 adoption (or worse, an eroding user
>> base).  Lets not play this game with F10.
>>

> Let me just state, this is not going to happen ever. If you want hold
> your desktop ransom to a large binary piece of software, I'm sure
> Microsoft will sell you an OS more suited to your needs.
>
> Fedora is about having an open distro and we are *never* going to expend
> time or effort to support a binary driver. I say this as the
> co-maintainer of X.org for Fedora. Fedora is not ajax's or mine primary
> reason for being paid, we really wish it was. However even if Fedora was
> the only thing I was scheduled to work on, I would still not expend even
> one small shred of effort to support a binary driver running on this OS.
> You buy hardware with closed source you now get to keep both bits.
>
> unsure if I can clarify this any better.
>
> Dave.

Believe it or not - I do agree with Fedora's OSS principles.  However,
as the professional I know you are (despite the tone of your reply), I'm
sure you can understand the importance of hardware compatibility.
Nobody is saying you need to bend over backwards for nvidia, but
actively working to break support probably isn't the right approach
either.  Surely you can find a way to collaborate with X.org, Nvidia and
the Fedora team in a way that promotes progress, rather than stifle it.