Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Wed May 21 01:09:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 20:02 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > Fedora is about having an open distro and we are *never* going to expend
> > time or effort to support a binary driver.
>
> Was anyone asking you to "support" one of the vendors that actually
> makes an effort to help Linux users?   The issue is about shipping
> software with stable interfaces - i.e. release versions.   Otherwise you
> are actively sabotaging anyone who wants to cooperate.

No it isn't. You clearly don't understand the problem. Let me say it
real slow now..

1. X.org ABI for 1.5 is what we ship in F9, this hasn't changed in
months, I've ported 15 other drivers to it in this time. It will not
change before 1.5 final is released.

2. Nvidia don't release drivers for X.org releases.

3. Nvidia only bother releasing  drivers when a distro has shipped the
ABI. Now we happen to be the first distro to ship most things, so we get
to be distro that nvidia have to port their drivers to. Other distros
lag releasing, however it won't help us if we lag, as Nvidia won't do
anything until one of Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, RHEL, or SLED do a
release.

We are not standing still so you can use your binary software, and if
you think nvidia are doing it for the users I've got a nice bridge for
sale.

Dave.