Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:48:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
> I was as much responsible for shipping 1.5 pre-release in Fedora as ajax
> was, and funnily these threads actually move me to break the nvidia
> driver more often rather than less :-)

I think you are missing the point.  Just because nVidia sucks, it
doesn't mean we have to make Fedora "suck".  This is linux, and it
should be possible to have a system which everyone can enjoy.  With
just a little bit of extra effort, a set of stable xorg rpms could
have been provided in a f9 testing repo for nVidia users to use
temporarily.  We can still make a distro which is friendly to nVidia
users without slowing down progress for everyone else.  I see this
mainly as a user friendliness issue more than an open source vs closed
source issue.  I hope Josh is correct and we will have some nVidia
drivers to test with soon.