Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Erich Zigler ezigler at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:50:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:

> Can't people read or something?

I wasn't rude to you. Why must you be rude to me?

> 1. X.org ABI for 1.5 is what we ship in F9, this hasn't changed in
> months, I've ported 15 other drivers to it in this time. It will not
> change before 1.5 final is released.
> 2. Nvidia don't release drivers for X.org releases.
> 3. Nvidia only bother releasing  drivers when a distro has shipped the
> ABI. Now we happen to be the first distro to ship most things, so we get
> to be distro that nvidia have to port their drivers to. Other distros
> lag releasing, however it won't help us if we lag, as Nvidia won't do
> anything until one of Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, RHEL, or SLED do a
> release.
> I was as much responsible for shipping 1.5 pre-release in Fedora as ajax
> was, and funnily these threads actually move me to break the nvidia
> driver more often rather than less :-)

You know a lot more about this stuff then I do but I don't see any
thing you posted there to make #3 and #5 any less true. The point I
was trying to make in #3 and #5 was consideration for the user in such
decisions and noting such things as this in the Release Notes.

Thanks,

Erich