Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed May 21 06:23:14 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Christopher Stone
>> <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, this is good news.  I'll post on the nVidia forums to make sure
>>> they know.  I still think it's a bit uncalled for to say nVidia should
>>> get their act together when the ABI was only declared stable last
>>> week.
>> Dude that thread is super long...and I was quoting an nvidia dev from
>> the thread.
>> Trust me... they know.  Post #42 is a really good read concerning the
>> recent history of the ABI. There is absolutely nothing new here.
>
> There seems to be some internal debate within nvidia about when the new
> version(s) get released.  They know the abi is stable, but there seems to
> be someone within nvidia who is waiting for the official 1.5 release.

If this is in reference to Zander's comments in the previously posted nvnews.net
forum thread then do keep in mind this is the same Zander who is responsible for
the nvidia drivers original kernel 2.6 patches and capability; He of all people
knows very well how much work needs to go into supporting rapid kernel/X
development changes.  I'm sure that work is being done on it, and they are well
aware now that (due to Fedora using the ABI) it is no longer a moving target.
Had Fedora not released with the new Xorg ABI nvidia would probably still not be
actively working on it yet.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29