Glitch-Free PulseAudio in Rawhide

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed May 21 14:27:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 16:10 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> things in relation. So you are experiencing one bug on your specific
> setup that makes listening to your favourite music break after a few
> hours of continious play.

Lennart, it is not a trivial problem. It's not that I can not listen to
music, I gave that up some time ago. But sound nowadays has become an
essential business function for many people. I work with a team that's
geographically dispersed, and being able to use Skype is fundamental.
In many way, if I can't use Skype is as bad as not being able to use
the mouse.

Yes, you answered, Lubomir answered, I was disciplined for not going
through bugzilla, and at the end of the day nothing happened, because
you seem to think this is a trivial problem that's not all that
important, and I'm being an asshole.

> All I want to ask you: please keep things in relation.

I am trying to make you realize that for a regular user not having sound
is fundamental nowadays: you can't Skype, Youtube doesn't have sound,
you can't listen to your music. This is probably closer to 80% of what a
_regular_ user does with a desktop, so it's not a trivial problem as
you imply.

> > For fsck's sake, I didn't have to reboot Windows 3.1 that often!
>
> This is nonsense. And you know it.

Please Lennart, you said two messages ago that requiring a reboot
(for regular users) to recover from software errors like the ones
experienced with PA is acceptable.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not. Requiring normal
users to "pulseaudio -D" is (or at least should be) out of the
question. If so, what is the recovery mode?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.