Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:25:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> said:
>> Pfft, you dont have to put these through review, you dont have to do a
>> QA on them, you just have to take the f8 rpms and rebuild them on f9,
>> stick them in updates-testing and be done with it.  One or two days
>> tops, nothing more.  Sheesh....
>
> Fedora has a well-defined process for delivering packages for a good
> reason, and you want that policy ignored for the benefit of closed
> source software (that is quite possibly violating the GPL on the kernel
> side).
>
> The updates-testing repo is for, well, testing of updates, not
> distribution of random bits of unreviewed software.  How exactly would
> users install these packages anyway?  If they have installed F9, they
> can't use any of the regular tools to install older versions of X.  They
> also can't use any regular update tools or they'll break X (by
> re-upgrading to the current packages).
>
> If it is so easy, why don't you do it in your own repo?  Fedora is a
> fully open distribution; all the necessary tools are there.

Should I make an assumption that you mean to say rpm is not a
"regular" tool.  Sure, you would have to add some documentation on how
to install it by first uninstalling X.  It's not so much compatibility
and support, but more a matter of convenience.

As several people have stated in this thread already, they would have
just been happy if there was even one sentence in the release notes
about it.  But not even that much effort can be made it seems.