Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:18:51 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I suggest you complain to the xorg 1.5 release engineer the Fedora
>>> xorg maintainer is not coordinating with him closely. And then that
>>> you follow the advice of the xorg 1.5 release engineer on this issue.
>>
>> You know I'm both, right?
>>
>> - ajax
>
> I assume that was an attempt at humor....  But, it makes it hard to
> claim that you didn't have some inside information about when the
> interface was going to stop changing.  In another company that sort of
> thing might be called anti-competitive behavior.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

Guys let's stop using the argument "they didn't know it was stable"...
If You're writing a driver for Your product and not just an ordinary
userspace thing, but a driver half of which sits in the kernel and the
other half in X, You'll HAVE TO have a guy (or maybe many more) who will
be doing just that and nothing else.
And I bet if someone's job is writing an Xorg driver, he would at least
be signed to the -devel mailing list and would checkout from
CVS/SVN/GIT/... at least once a week to watch where the development is.
And don't tell that's not the case with Windows. Of course it isn't...
But we aren't talking about a windows programmer who is writing Xorg
driver as a hobby in the first time in his life and doesn't know that
ABI's aren't very loved in FOSS world. We are speaking about a *nix
programmer.
I myself have an Nvidia card in my home PC (and one at work).
And because I want to be able to do OpenGL (accelerated) I just excluded
xorg stuff from yum upgrade. I'll have to wait for the driver from
NVidia. Mea culpa (for buying NVidia.. next one will be AMD), not
Fedora's (for shipping "unstable" ABI).