Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:23:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > It's not typical to update products to match a new standard before the
> > standard in question is finalized, wireless-N notwithstanding.
>
> Yet this is normally how things work in the Free Software world, especially
> for
> drivers, one is supposed to track upstream development and keep one's
> driver
> updated for it as things change, not wait for a release. The fact that
> NVidia
> can't adapt to this is only their fault, or the fault of the non-Free
> license
> and the closed development model they have chosen. If their driver was
> released
> under an acceptable license for the upstream project their driver is for
> and
> developed in the upstream repository (as drivers are supposed to), we
> wouldn't
> have this problem.

I am pretty sure RedHat new exactly what it was doing when choosing Xorg
1.5.
The users would be used as a "mass of manoeuvre" to press Nvidia to catch
up.

It is a valid strategy in my opinion. Certainly, the customers of RHEL would
never have
to be exposed this way, but they pay for a special treatment.

Those who can use the nv driver, good. Others like me, who write code to be
run on Nvidia graphics boards and/or use CUDA, have no option but wait.
Furthermore, I like F8 very much...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ