Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu May 22 12:57:35 UTC 2008

Denis Leroy wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>>>
>>> That's nothing new you know. Out of the 9 fedora releases, I think
>>> at least 8 out of 9 didn't work with the Nvidia driver at release
>>> time. however Nvidia is usually pretty good at playing catch up.
>>>
>>> I'm also hostage to Nvidia's good will for my Lenovo T61's Quadro
>>> chipset, and can't upgrade to F-9 until their next release (nv
>>> doesn't work at all on this chipset). I wouldn't go back to a Radeon
>>> chipset though, not until we have a working free equivalent
>>> (emphasis on 'working') to nvidia-settings for easy dual-head
>>> support... The good news is that with xrandr maturing, we're
>>> probably almost there.
>>>
>> Interesting...
>>
>> I have no  "nv" problems on my  Lenovo T61p with Quadro FX570M.
>> Running with no xorg.conf. ...
>> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_1536ec85-61c8-49d4-aeaa-3852a20d5d29
>>

> Hmm, mine is a NVS 140M. nv yields a black screen.
With or without an xorg.conf ?

You will need an xorg.conf for dual monitors or an customised script
that you run after you
booted the laptop.

I'm not quite sure how their gonna fix the dual monitor one without an
xorg.conf,

Is xrandr capable of setting virtual resolution size?
> Even if nv worked, it's unbearably slow and can't handle dual
> 1680x1050 screens.
True the nv driver is slow..

If 1680x1050 is not supported then you need to find the next/closest
supported one..

I have to settle with 1360x768 when hooking my T61p to my HDTV which has
1920x1080.

Since rhgb does not have proper sanity checks ( It seems to detect the
resolution of the HDTV
( 1920x1080 ) and tries to set it to that resolution, or it tries to set
the resolution if the lcd
display to the HDTV and I end up with both screens black)

I have to first start the laptop then put it in my dock
then run a xrandr script I created to change the resolution
of my T6p laptop display and set it to 1360x768 and the display sent to
the HDTV ..
( Not using any xorg.conf )

This is from my xorg.conf on my Dell workstation here at work, which has
an ati card and is running F9
Set to "panorama/spanning desktop".

I will see if I cant come up with something similar on my T61p and the
nv driver..

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "RandR Multihead layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "DVI-0"    # xrandr -q..  Should be DVI-0 Or DVI0
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Dell 1800FP (Analog)" # Match your monitor
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1280x1050" # Set it to 1680x1050 or
closest match
        Option      "dpms" # Probably can be removed
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "DVI-1"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Dell 1901FP (Analog)" Match your monitor
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1280x1050" # Set it to 1680x1050 or
closest match
        Option      "RightOf" "DVI-0" # Can either be LeftOf or RightOf
and change the DVI-0 to match xrandr -q output
        Option      "dpms" # Probably can be removed
EndSection

# Change the Device section to match NV

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "DVI-0" # Needs to match xrandr -q output
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Virtual   2560 1024  # Set it to ( 2x1680 )x1050 or
closest match
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

> But I would never criticize the Xorg developers, the only culprit for
> nv being so bad is NVidia itself...

Nor was I blaming Xorg developers..

Ajax and Dave both have been doing extremely good work.

I have never understood why users always blame Fedora/Xorg for Nvidia
not catching up..

I have also never understood why hardware manufactures dont release
specs to the open source
community or atleast provide a proper functional driver even if it's an
closed one.

One would think it was in their best interest to sell as much of the
hardware they manufacture regardless of
which OS the end user is using.

JB...