Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu May 22 17:08:12 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, Christian Iseli <Christian.Iseli at unil.ch> wrote:

> As far as I understand, nobody has a GPL'd version of those
> processors,

AFAICT, you're one of those who believe that "Free Software" means
"GPL".  No, sir.  GPL is just the most common out of the very many
Free Software licenses that exist.  I'm not going for GPL.  I'm going
for "respect for the 4 freedoms", as per the Free Software Definition.
Bringing the GPL into the debate is completely misplaced.

Your other mistake is to assume that this has anything to do with what
users had on their computers before installing Fedora, or whatever
they choose to install after installing Fedora, for that matter.  It
doesn't.  It's about what *we* distribute under the label Fedora.
Nothing but it.

IOW, any attempts to point at other sources of problems are just
distractions, because we don't distribute these other sources of
problems.  I don't object to our enabling people to live with them, as
long as we don't participate in the process of distributing them,
because is not just neutral to our mission, it's detrimental to it.