sata and changing devices

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri May 23 17:41:32 UTC 2008

We have a new machine which has SATA.  This is the first machine we have
had with SATA.  SATA and these changing device locations are giving me a
headache.  None of our disk device tools work with SATA.  For instance
we have a tool that will save all the MBR's and partition tables off to
files such as 'hda.mbr' and 'hda.part'.  With SATA this does not work
because what was 'sda' during this boot may be 'sdc' on the next boot.
So I need to find out if there is some best practice guide for how to
rewrite our tools so that they can support SATA.  We use LVM over RAID
on all our drives and all our RAID and LVM tools appear to still work.
It is only when dealing with the low-level disk devices themselves that
we have problems.  Can someone give me some suggestions as to how to
manage things when using SATA?

Regards,
Gerry