ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 26 03:39:49 UTC 2008

Whoops, hit send too early, forgot to answer your questions. :)

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 14:56 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> Will ntfs-3g be dropped in F10 or F11?

No (at least for F-10, I have no plans to drop it in F-11).

> If ntfsprogs now provides the needed functionality and reliability,
> then I assume that all software under current maintenance/development
> which needs ntfs support should be using ntfsprogs.  Correct??

Nope. ntfs-3g is primarily for mounting. Nothing is using its
library/headers at this time (to the best of my knowledge). Not that
there is anything wrong with them, they're just new.

These two apps are really more complimentary than it might seem, but if
anything, ntfs-3g is growing much faster and has a much more active
community.

~spot