Announcing a new F-10 Feature Proposal: Better Webcam Support

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon May 26 09:51:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> So its not just API conversion, but also image format conversion.
> Alternatively a v4l2 library could be written which offers a higher
> abstraction layer could be written and apps ported to that, I guess thats
> the golden way. But so much todo in so little time.

Like, say, XVideo? We have the xf86-video-v4l driver, which gives you all
kinds of nice acceleration if you're displaying directly to screen. Has the
advantage of being not Linux specific. On the down side it ties you to X,
which may be a deal killer depending on the app.

Though gstreamer is really the way to go. Which means we need proper
gstreamer plugins to wrap v4l/v4l2 and/or XVideo and whatever else.