ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Mon May 26 20:55:31 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa <at> redhat.com> writes:

> Nope. ntfs-3g is primarily for mounting. Nothing is using its
> library/headers at this time (to the best of my knowledge).

ntfs-3g.probe. Though probably it's mostly used only on OS X
which requires it before mount.

> These two apps are really more complimentary than it might seem, but if
> anything, ntfs-3g is growing much faster and has a much more active
> community.

Yep. Ntfs-3g is the active ex-Linux-NTFS developers plus many
new ones. I'm still on all the Linux-NTFS lists and notification
systems and I can't see productive activity. Well, we were never
a big group, only a few of us.

Basically the project was killed when the maintainer got hired
by Apple in 2005 to work on their currently closed source,
work-in-progress driver by rewriting the Linux NTFS code
(we agreed and were promised to get the new code what we didn't).
This was one of the many reasons NTFS-3G had to partially
fork: to keep the open source NTFS development alive.

Regards,  Szaka

--
NTFS-3G: http://ntfs-3g.org