Networkmanager service is shutdown too early

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri May 30 20:32:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:

> So it's hard to "reconnect" if DBUS goes down for any reason ?
> That doesn't really speak good for DBUS, because it is sure that for one
> reason or another it will go down at some point.
> Caliming that DBUS can never be restarted is putting your head under the
> sand. Bugs just happen, dbus might explode for who knows what reason,
> does it mean the machine should implode as well ?

Sure.  All software has bugs.  I submit that it's far more likely for the
kernel (or more specifically, drivers) or hardware flaws than DBus.

Good applications are usually built to reconnect when a transport they
> use becomes unavailable. if some network switch breaks for a few seconds
> down the road my connections have a good chance of surviving and if when
> connectivity is back things keep going as if nothing happened.

Right.  You know how basically every mail client explodes error dialogs when
your network connection happens to be broken for a bit?  Imagine those error
dialogs popping up in your file browser because suddenly HAL went away
during a software upgrade.  Not cool.

> If it is a huge task we have worst problems, we have apps badly
> engineered.

No.  Applications are not engineered to survive a kernel restart either.

Just think of DBus as a kernel extension.  Or from another view, there is
precedent even in traditional Unix for privileged userspace processes -
think init.  Just pretend that DBus happened to be implemented in the init
process instead of as pid 2.