Networkmanager service is shutdown too early

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri May 30 23:35:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 16:49 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> Why the ... are people still writing software which doesn't try and
> tolerate faults that are recoverable to a useful extent.  Yes dbus
> might have to lose a few messages and send everyone a "duh whoops"
> event so they can recover but "oh dear it broke everyone reboot" is
> not good engineering.

This is exactly the problem that we were discussing some time ago
about PulseAudio. It is a great daemon, but right now it crashes
reliably for me, and until I figured out that I needed to run
"pulseaudio -D" from a terminal, my only way out was a reboot!

This is pretty brutal. I understand that we aim for perfection,
but we're far from it. The thing crashes reliably here after
a few hours of use, and there is No Way(TM) you can expect regular
human beings to issue a "pulseaudio -D".

When you put 2+2 together it follows that we have a desktop
that normal users must completely restart every few hours to
get working sound!

When I brought this up last time, I was told by the developers
that it's normal behaviour for most software out there, and that
I should file bugs and work toward marking PA perfect.

I don't understand why it's so inconceivable for PA to restart
itself? There isn't all that much state to begin with, and _any_
user would prefer a sound glitch to a full desktop restart
(or even to a "pulseaudio -D"!).

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.