Fedora 8 most popular (then 7?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 1 19:06:53 UTC 2008

orion at cora.nwra.com wrote:
> Hmm, Fedora 8 is the most common followed by F7.   (What's the expiration
> time again for smolt reports?)
>
> Is that telling us something?

As an additional data point (though with a small sample), repo.calcforge.org
still got more requests for the F8 repo than the F9 one in October.

F8 i386: 5566
F9 i386: 3926

F8 i386 non-free: 4996
F9 i386 non-free: 3813

F8 x86_64: 1427
F9 x86_64: 1152

F8 x86_64 non-free: 1423
F9 x86_64 non-free: 1150

(The F7 repo is no longer up, but it had very few hits remaining when I took
it down.)

This is unlike past trends where new versions have been adopted more
quickly, so it looks like Fedora 9 in particular isn't very popular. I
think the major changes (KDE 4, X server 1.5.0, maybe also GCC 4.3 if there
are developers in the audience) are scaring people.

It has to be noted though that these are hits, not unique users, so those
stats probably correspond to very few people. My repository isn't immensely
popular. It might be interesting to see the stats for larger repositories,
such as Livna, or for Fedora updates on the mirrors.

        Kevin Kofler