Software is once again unpatentable in the United States

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 21:09:03 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Quote from http://www.pli.edu/patentcenter/blog.asp?view=plink&id=368 :
>
> Here are the highlights:
>
>   * The Federal Circuit rejected the that the "useful, concrete and tangible
> 	result" inquiry as being inadequate.
>
>   * Patentability under 101 does not depend on process steps, but rather
> 	requires a tangible machine or transformation into a different state.
>
>   * *Software* *is* *once* *again* *unpatentable* *in* *the* *United* *States*
>
>   * In order to protect what was formerly known as patentable software we
> 	will have to go back to claiming a machine that provides certain
> 	functionality.
>
>   * Software patents that have been issued under the previous understanding
> 	of the law are almost certainly now worthless.

This is a step in the right direction in terms of seeing most software
as math operations instead of a model of hardware.  But the Supreme
Court is probably going to have to rule on it before the matter is
settled - if the legislation isn't changed first to be more explicit.

But the concept that I'd really like to see put forth is that if, as a
consumer, you have one set of bits incorporating a patented algorithm
you then have the right to use any other arrangement of bits to
accomplish that same algorithm's effect, just as in the hardware case
that this is supposed to model, you would be permitted to rearrange and
alter the parts of your licensed device without having to purchase a new
license to cover the same patent.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com