FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:43:15 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Lun 3 novembre 2008 11:46, Denis Leroy a écrit :
>
>> Comps evolved over time into something that doesn't make a whole bunch
>> of sense to me. Is the main use of comps still for installation groups
>> within yum and anaconda ? A lot of packages are not installation
>> "targets" but simply libraries that should only be installed by being
>> pulled in from dependency resolution. Now if we're trying to
>> "categorize" all packages nonetheless, it'd be better to have a
>> tag-based system from packagedb, where packages can be "tagged"
>> a-la-gmail, and also belong into multiple tag groups as some things
>>   really belong into multiple categories...
>
> This tag-based system still needs to have a human-editable file
> deployment format since we do want third-party and private
> repositories to be categorised and 'just install packagedb' won't ever
> fly.
>
> Right now this deployment format is comps.
>
> I agree it is less than ideal, but so far no clear entity has stepped
> up to make it evolve (and any evolution would need
> anaconda/yum/packagedb/packagekit/spin-tools buy-in).

+1

I think we should be storing tag information into the packagedb.  But I
think it should be used to generate static files that are used in other
tools.

I'm leaning towards the idea that there should be separate files for the
installer and general use (so that the installer isn't sprinkled with
thousands of libraries but one could still use yum to search for "all
packages that have a 'python' 'library' to do 'ssl'").

Note that this requires quite a bit of work.  The packagedb currently
operates on SRPMS-only.  It should be easy to add built packages to the
data model but the whole infrastructure of populating that data,
displaying it, etc will need to be built.  If someone would like to work
on it, I'd be very happy to help get you working with the codebase.

-Toshio