Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 16:42:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:36 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
>> Let's take a step back. How do we group several thousand things such that
>> they don't make the avg user lose his/her mind to look at them.
>
> Also, what are the circumstances in which people are using this
> metadata?  What sort of interface are they expected to be working with,
> etc.  We have tons of unstructured metadata (see package summaries and
> descriptions :-)
>
> The current comps format came about from looking at "okay, what are we
> trying to enable the user to do" and then working back from there.  The
> same exercise but with the changed landscape that is present today is
> likely to be quite helpful in figuring out the best approach.

Well, to start with I was thinking of the flickr/blogger larger-font-size
tag browser with the ability to drill down per tag for additional info?

So combining tagging with a tree?

For example: you browse the 15 most common tags then you click on one
which opens up the 15 most common tags at that layer? maybe? and/or a list
of pkgs below that?

Maybe that's crazy, I'm just playing with what it might look like based on
other interfaces I've seen.

-sv