Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 17:35:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 12:31 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > And I do think that you want to have the same sort of
> > groupings/taggings/whatever for both cases... that or we switch to a "we
> > always install a large base set of stuff and then you can go in and
> > tweak to your heart's content".
>
> Which is like livecd-based-install + gui-installer later, right?

Same idea.  We could do it installing actual packages, though which is
what we'd want to do for the general case

> >  But that suggestion tends to make server-type people come after me with pitchforks and fire ;-)
>
> My perspective on server-type installs has always been the same:
> kickstart a minimal and %post the rest in via: yum -y install pkg1 pkg2
> pkg3. But it might just be the years of success deploying like in that way
> which makes me think that ;)

That's fine for people that have been using Linux for a long time and
something that I recommend too.  But how do you know what set of pkg1
pkg2, etc you want without those years of experience?

It's a hard problem.  And unfortunately, it's a problem that's made that
much harder by the vast amounts of choice we present to people.

Jeremy