Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 18:03:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 12:31 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>

> > It might make sense -- it depends on what the context is that they're
> > doing it in.  If I'm looking to play a certain type of game on my
> > installed box, yeah, I can maybe see that making sense.
> >
> > But if instead I'm looking to install a system, I'm not as sure that it
> > does.
>
> Something like this:
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/search-browse-mockup.html

 What makes the keywords smaller/bigger? The only way this works in
del.icio.us/etc. is that you have some kind of popularity metric, where
is that going to live and how is it going to be done? If "popularity" ==
number of packages in a group/tag ... then it'll be complete fail, IMO.

 Also how do we display this on the cmd line?

 Also, as Jeremy said, I haven't seen anyone say what they want the
"new" thing to be or do ... just that what we have kind of sucks (in
various ways). At a quick guess at that we have:

1. PK doesn't use it, by default.
2. No easy way to create custom groups for the user.
3. Not wasy way for packagers to add/remove their packages from groups.
4. "groupremove KDE" removes GNOME stuff, etc.
5. "groupinstall FOO" && "groupremove FOO" should act like a noop.
6. Groups should be able to depend on groups, so we don't duplicate
data.
7. Groups depending on groups is insane.
8. hierarchical groups (even though we only have 2 levels) "sucks" and
confuses people / is too advanced / etc.
9. non-hierarchical groups "sucks" for 10,000 - 20,000 pkgs all in at
least one group.
10. We'd like "virtual packages" to go away, and be groups/whatever ...
thus. implying 100s - 1,000s of groups.
11. More than 100 groups is unusable.

...of those 1-3 don't need a huge overhall of groups, 4-5 could probably
be fixed by fixing the data and the rest are pairs of mutually exclusive
requirements.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora