Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:30:53 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:

>  And, yeh, those kinds of tools for check-update/update/etc. are
> something I'm interested in (see myum-list-updates for a very prototype
> example solution). But again, I think that's a very different problem
> than what groups are for atm.

Categorizing things into groups barely makes sense when about 90% of the
packages are general-purpose tools.

What are groups for anyway?  Things that have to be installed together
should be pulled by dependencies.  Things that one person thinks might
belong in one group might not make any sense there to someone else.

Where do you put things like the bazillion perl modules?  Are they
grouped by their purpose where one is obvious?  Or do you need to know
you are using perl to get one?  If you start tagging things for every
purpose it could possibly have, you are going to make browsing
categories worse than just wading through the whole package list.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com