breaking rawhide freeze

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Nov 4 12:47:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> You know, I'm somewhat disappointed in the uneven treatment of packagers here.
> A couple of days ago, I wanted to break the freeze and push an update to gnomeradio
> that would make the application fully usable again (as it is now, it crashes
> every time you try to name a radio station), but I was told (by Jesse himself,
> and some other nice folks) to wait until after F-10 is released, because it
> wasn't "critical enough". And now I'm reading the recent rawhide changelogs
> and seeing non-critical changes being committed, mostly by people @redhat.com.
> I don't want to draw any far-fetched conclusions, but I wonder what's going on
> here. Why was I actively discouraged from pushing my change, which would have
> zero side-effects but would have made gnomeradio in vanilla F-10 fully functional?

>From what I saw in today's (2008/11/04) rawhide report all of the
packages that got updated had some commonalities:

1) Would be in one of the "official" Live images, and therefore
difficult/impossible to update once F10 was released.
2) Security fixes.
3) Very popular apps.

>From what I saw GIMP only fit in category 3, but I think you'd have to
agree that GIMP is a much more widely used app than gnomeradio.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"