Proposal: Rolling Release

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Nov 10 18:52:10 UTC 2008

> > The real missing piece is 'undo' when you find out that a change in the
> > new version breaks something that you need.  Does anyone know if that
> > actually works on systems using conary (i.e. can you back up a major
> > revision)?
>
> Not feasible for RPM due to pre/post scripts. The rudimentary roll back
> support in RPM has actually been removed in 4.6. It probably needs the
> underlying filesytem to support snapshots. Something like btrfs needs to
> be in place first.

We need rollback if we ever want to be serious about end-user testing.

With non-critical (as in, not needed for yum to run...) packages an "rpm
-e somepackage --nodeps" "yum install somepackage" offers something of a
rollback...

Filesystem rollback may work for full-distribution upgrade rollback, but
won't work so well for per-package rollback. A user should be able to
cherry pick updates to try from "updates-testing", and easily roll back
individual packages, or their entire system to "updates" or even the
"fedora" repo should something go wrong.

Debian can do this. The only reason we can not is because we refuse to.