Proposal: Rolling Release

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Nov 10 19:08:00 UTC 2008

>> PackageKit.
>> Fedora
>> >
>> > Can I update from up-to-date fedora N to fedora N+1 through a command
>> > line ssh connection now?  Or is that still unsupported?
>> >
>> > And if yes, how?  Is it just changing the repository to N+1 and yum
>> > update?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveUpgrade
>
> Niiiiiiiiiice.  Now that's one thing that is going to make my sysadmin
> life nicer.

I've been doing this since F-1, and I have one box that's been done that
way since F-3.   Basically, read the release notes, prepare what you have
to, generally db dumps, etc, and do the above.  With very few exceptions,
it works very well.  Still not "officially supported", though I like
preupgrade, too, even though it's not the same goal at all.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, speak only love

-d. bowie