Proposal: Rolling Release

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 11 09:09:24 UTC 2008

Le lundi 10 novembre 2008 à 17:13 -0600, Les Mikesell a écrit :

> I'm not sure I understand the logic of making upstream deal with the
> problem that RPM's design introduces.  There's rarely an issue if you
> want to do parallel version installs out of an upstream source - and I'd
> guess the developers _always_ do that for anything they rely on.

Developpers typically re-create configuration files and data files when
they do parallel installs. Thus they do not have to deal with
config/data format conversion and rollback. Which is the main problem in
doing rpm rollbacks, because unlike on dev stations, we can not afford
to lose of duplicate user data.

--
Nicolas Mailhot