Proposal: Rolling Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:06:56 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> How does that answer my question? Let me repeat. I've asked what policy it
> is that "forced a horribly fractured 3rd party repository situation"? I'm
> not aware of any such policy.

All I can say is that with Ubuntu you can pick vendor drivers and Sun
Java 1.5 from the software management tool and you almost never have to
worry about conflicts among packages from the different repositories.
I've repeatedly requested these things in fedora and been repeatedly
told it wasn't going to happen.

 > There simply is not enough man-power
> to spend additional time on coordinating between 3rd party packagers.

That's something that potential users have to take into account when
choosing the distro they are going run.

> They
> are occupied with the task of keeping packages in their own repo
> compatible with eachother. What hasn't changed in several years, expecting
> individual volunteer packagers to stay informed about a multitude of 3rd
> party repos and coordinating updates and upgrades for ultimate inter-repo
> compatibility is still a tall order.

Which make the effort that Ubuntu (with the help of the underlying
debian packages) makes particularly outstanding.  The point of using any
distribution instead of rolling your own linux from scratch is that
others theoretically have worked together to make sure that everything
is compatible. If a distro doesn't arrange for this kind of cooperation
it can't provide what users need and expect.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com