Proposal: Rolling Release

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Nov 11 18:53:24 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:52 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Debian can do this. The only reason we can not is because we refuse
> > to.
>
> And so far we refuse to be cause we allow free-form scriptlets in rpms.

And as I was trying to point out, this doesn't stop you from
uninstalling a package and installing an older version.

Some concrete examples of scriptlets that would break rollback would be
helpful here. Right now we're in hypothetical handwavy land.

> It would be interesting to see how one would upgrade say mysql major
> version and then roll it back all via packaging.  Something that
> requires changing the on disk format of your databases and such.

We went over this in another thread. We really ought to be packaging
mysql major versions as parallel installable packages.

Or slap upstream(s) with a salmon until they stop changing on-disk
formats in backward-incompatible manners...