starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:54:23 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>         >> Not so bad - 145 packages, 110 MB
>>         >
>>         > I tried
>>         >
>>         > yum --installroot=/mnt/tmp/ install '@core' '@base'
>>         >   -> 416 Packages, 257 M.
>>         >
>>         > and it is less right, X is brought in, and also qt qt-X11.
>>         Should
>>         > certainly be investigated.
>>

>>         That's probably because of LSB compliance. As has been
>>         discussed
>>         previously, someone needs to split the lsb package in
>>         server-side
>>         stuff and other stuff (yes that would mean a system that used
>>         only the
>>         first part would not be fully lsb compliant)
>
>> LSB requests qt?
>
> The LSB Desktop specs[1] requires them.
>
> The LSB Core specs[2] don't.
>
> I'd say this is a badly packaged package, which is in dire need of being
> split ;)

Even on machines where I never run an X display on the console, I often
find it extremely handy to have wireshark-gnome installed and run it via
ssh port-forwarding.   Likewise I might want to install VMware server
which needs X libs and perhaps a few other things on a machine that
doesn't run X on the console.  And on some other machines that I would
still classify as servers I run a whole desktop environment (or several)
remotely via freenx.  Are the packages split so you can easily get the X
libs, fonts, etc., without hardware related components?

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com