starting Fedora Server SIG

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 12 19:30:00 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> said:
> Have you looked at core lately?  Mostly it's things listed that would
> already get pulled in via deps, and a few things that aren't just
> because we haven't manually added the deps to the packages.

Sorry, no I haven't, not at all since F9 (and not much before that) was
released.  I do get frustrated sometimes by what gets pulled in when
trying to build a minimal box (like a firewall or a simple NFS server).

Why is "ed" still mandatory in core?  Does anything (or anybody)
actually use it?

I see a few other things that don't really seem core to me (file,
hdparm, prelink, dhclient); it isn't that I don't use them, but I don't
necessarily see why they should be mandatory.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>