starting Fedora Server SIG

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 20:09:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 21:05 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> This thread is about a *server* SIG, isn't it?  Most servers do not need
> disk encryption as they are located in physically secured rooms.  They
> must be able to reboot without manual interaction too.
>
> Hence, when password prompts are the only reason for plymouth, then
> plymouth should be optional; especially when it has heavy dependencies
> like pango.

Don't be so sure about that.  In a colo environment I /would/ want some
encryption on the disk, and if I have to use a remote kvm to input the
passphrase at reboot time, that's OK.  Reboots are either planned
events, or emergencies, both of which are going to require the attention
of the people who have the passphrase.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!