starting Fedora Server SIG

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 21:18:49 UTC 2008

Dan Horák wrote:
> There were many discussions in the past few days and weeks about the
> orientation Fedora currently has. It is a fact that currently
> Fedora is primarily desktop oriented.
>
> We agree that Desktop is important part of the system, it is highly
> visible to the public and large number of Fedora users. But we also see
> a large number of Fedora and CentOS users and RHEL customers with very
> specific needs and demands. We can not omit the server fundamentals that
> later create a successful enterprise product and in our opinion a formal
> entity must exist to coordinate these efforts.
>
> That's why we started work on establishing the Fedora Server SIG. The
> draft is available at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DanHorak/ServerSIG
> Any constructive ideas are welcome  :-)
>

> 		Dan

Strongly interested.   All I do in Fedora/EPEL-land is focused towards
enterprisey/server usage and there are some suprisingly large
datacenter/grid installations.

Please do start a list.   Fedora-devel is much too high traffic to keep
up momentum (kind of like carrying on a conversation while treading
water in a rough sea) and I can guarantee you'll see interest.

I'll offer to bring this up on the cobbler and Func lists, I'd suggest
you also mention this on the EPEL list as there's a lot of overlap with
that community and Fedora development interests.

I think some of the most important things we can do is encourage people
to share information about the tools they are using, getting them
packaged, and creating a community for people who use Fedora in server
configurations to talk about what they are doing and how we can better
integrate management applications.   The value in spins diminishes when
network install environments are available -- so I'm much less
interested in that.  Providing a community where we can get people
together who use Fedora in a server context however, and just see what
happens, however, would be supremely valuable.

--Michael