Proposal: Rolling Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 23:02:23 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like that very much but given what you have to work with, I'll agree it
>> is impossible.  However, like any other QA aspect, I'm suggesting that you
>> do the best you can not to break local or 3rd party programs built on the
>> platform you just shipped.
>
> How about this for an answer. Given what we have to work with right
> now. We are doing our best.

OK, but if breakage didn't scare off the user base maybe there would be
a lot more to work with.

> Now if you and anyone else don't think our current best effort is not
> good enough.. you can certainly choose to add your manhours into the
> effort.  Which packages would you specifically like to help
> co-maintain?

It's not really about effort or engineering or packaging, all of which
are probably better in fedora than anywhere else.  It's more about
timing and recognizing the effect of an interface change on the things
on the other side of it.  Just admitting that there are things on the
other side of the interfaces you ship would be a start.  Otherwise it is
an endless package shuffle for no end purpose and no way to tell if you
are going forwards or backwards.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com