starting Fedora Server SIG

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Thu Nov 13 00:45:45 UTC 2008

* Les Mikesell [13/11/2008 01:08] :

> What does that mean for distributions that don't use RPM?

The LSB doesn't impose you use rpm, just that you accept rpm pacakges.
Alien and Ubuntu use alien to convert the rpms to debs before
installation.

If you're really interested in the LSB, you're be better served by reading
the spec (or, at least, Wikipedia's entry of it) rather than getting my
interpretation of it.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

>> [manu at orient ~]$ /usr/bin/lsb_release
>> LSB Version:	:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
>
> Gak.. something that specifies locations by purpose wants an information
> file in /usr/bin?

It's a non-essential binary usable by all users.
The LSB (through the FHS) mandates that it be in /usr/bin .

Emmanuel