starting Fedora Server SIG

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Nov 13 13:39:23 UTC 2008

On 11/13/2008 10:54 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 November 2008 at 10:00, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> Chris Adams<cmadams at hiwaay.net>  writes:
>>
>>> If I explicitly add "plymouth-text-and-details-only" to my install,
>>> it satisfies the system-plymouth-plugin dependency, and I don't get
>>> libX11 and such.
>>>
>>> Maybe plymouth-text-and-details-only should be in @core and
>>> plymouth-plugin-solar in @base?
>> Maybe 'yum' should be fixed to handle ambiguous situations better?
>> E.g. fail, warn and/or prompt when multiple packages satisfy a (virtual)
>> dependency?
>
> +1 for prompting, i.e.
>
> 2 packages found satisfying "system-plymouth-plugin" dependency:
> 1: plymouth-graphics-solar
> 2: plymouth-text-and-details-only
> Enter number to select [1]:
>
> Of course, the usual select-the-one-with-the-shortest-name behaviour would
> occur when using -y.

I think a better way would be to choose a plugin based on the Spin i.e. the
desktop spin should prefer plymouth-graphics-solar and the server spin
should prefer plymouth-text-and-details-only. I'm not sure if something
like this is possible right now though. A second alternative would be to
simply remove the graphical plugins from the server spin after all they
merely fancy up the boot process but don't add any fundamental functionality.

Regards,
   Dennis