starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:09:36 UTC 2008

Jon Ciesla wrote:

>>> I would expect to add those bits manually if authconfig didn't provide
>>> them.  Kickstart FTW!
>> I thought these days certain things were changed dynamically depending
>> on who logged into the console.
>
> Such as?  Not sure I follow you.

I thought the audio device and perhaps some other things are now
magically owned by the user logged in at the console.  If everyone logs
in with freenx, they may want their audio diverted to their display
connection or not.  How do you manage the server audio for the case
where it is actually an audio server not really tied to any user
session, or a freenx desktop user happens to be nearby and wants his
session-related audio to go to the server-connected speakers?

Note also that desktop and server activities aren't clearly defined and
are not mutually exclusive.  What should happen to a server-type audio
manager (say a web-controlled music player) when a GUI session does log
in at the console or someone does fast user switching there?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com