starting Fedora Server SIG

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Nov 13 16:04:11 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:

>> Maybe 'yum' should be fixed to handle ambiguous situations better?
>> E.g. fail, warn and/or prompt when multiple packages satisfy a (virtual)
>> dependency?
>>

> why did you put yum in quotes?

I put product names usually into quotes.

> If we don't have a good default course of action, why do you think the
> user is going to know better?

Why do you think, that 'yum' knows which choice is the best one? E.g. the
'plymouth' case shows that the wrong decision was taken and that the user
would have made the right one.

> If we do have a good default course of action, why are we prompting
> the user?

How do you define/configure a "good default course"? Prompting is
probably easier to implement than such a logic.

Enrico