starting Fedora Server SIG

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 17:46:52 UTC 2008

> > >  I've recently posted a patch to the yum ML which would allow Fedora (or
> > > any active repo.) to configure these choices manually. We could then
> > > also easily have different defaults for the desktop vs. the server
> > > spins.
> >
> > Where would you store per-spin defaults, as they all point to the
> > same repo?

 Ahh, I didn't think the spins did that (they are just different sets of
default packages then?) ... atm. that wouldn't be trivial to work
around, but it could be done by providing a repo. just for the extra
repometadata ... or we could change the proposed metadata syntax to
solve this?

> And how would you account for multiple repos providing this
> information... differently?  Which repo wins?

 Atm. it works a lot like comps.¹ ... the repodata is merged (so if one
repo. prefers FOO and one BAR, then both/either are preferred over BAZ
but are equal against each other).
 With the caveat. that atm. the implementation prefers the data from
repo. X when we are installing a dependency of a package from repo. X.
So if you "yum install java-devel" it'll use the global/merged data, but
if you do "yum install totem" then "libbaconvideowidget.so.0()" could go
to either totem-xine or totem-gstreamer based on just what the repo.
totem comes from specifies.

¹ But, yeh, that's one of the things I asked for comments about.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat