fedora 10 avahi & firewall weirdness

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 14 19:41:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

I hope someone can clearify this for me.

I have avahi activated on my desktop and wanted to discover services
from my notebook (e.g. conduit). Both avahi servers use the default
configuration (local domain).
Running avahi-discover from my notebook worked with activated firewall
on the host.
On the host itself _no_ services were discovered while the fw was
activated - deactivating fixed it.
Why that? A normal fw configuration (my fw runs fedora default config)
should not deny any packets from the inside, that are accepted from the
outside. But obviously it does.

any thoughts?

Christoph