Broken dependencies in Fedora 9 - 2008-11-14

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:08:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:44:16 -0500, David Huff wrote:

> either way, it was my understanding that both ExclusinveArch and
> ExcludeArch would work, ie the compose tools will check the srpm and not
> include the package in a tree if specified in either of these feilds.

That's somewhat unrelated. Checking the src.rpm is only necessary for
noarch builds. For binary builds, the buildsys (= koji) evaluates these
two fields already and requests the right arch-specific build-jobs. Then,
with no ppc64 build done, the compose tools have nothing they can push to
the ppc64 repo.

> Im not sure if switching form ExclusinveArch to ExcludeArch will fix the
> issue at had.

Rule of thumb: prefer ExcludeArch (selectively excluding archs that are
known to be broken/unsupported -- with the Fedora guideline to add a
bugzilla ticket for each arch that's excluded). Second choice is
ExclusiveArch for software where you can start with a list of what archs
the software is made for, e.g. due to explicitly non-portable features.