F11 Proposal: Stabilization

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 21:31:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 16:07 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Use case --- I have no desire to update my desktop, but I want newer
> virt tools, and I want security updates.
>
> Use case -- my friend wants newer Open Office but that's it, and doesn't
> want to update ImportNetworkThingy until many people say it's ok.
>
> How do we compare against the above already, and how might we take small
> actionable steps to get closer to them?
>
> The above use cases almost seems to imply Debian pin priorities, and
> that makes me afraid.
>
> Hard problem.

Couldn't both the above be solved by 'subscribing' to those sets of
packages via say PackageKit?  That way when PackageKit goes to look for
updates, it only asks for updates for those particular packages.  When
you update, if anything else is needed to satisfy newer builds of those
packages they can be pulled in.

Of course, what we'd likely see is a combo of "Give me all security
updates" and also "Give me updates only for these sets of packages".
The interesting question is how to design UI around the subscriptions.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!