Adobe Releases 64bit Flash Plugin for Linux

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 19 17:25:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:37:56 +0100,
  Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> writes:
>
> > How about getting the people in charge of deciding what format to publish
> > content in, to not use crappy, security hole ridden, propietary formats.
>
> The main competitors are Java and Silverlight. Neither seems
> particularly appealing.
>
> Some things you can replace with either plain embedded video or AJAX,
> but not everything.

For normal web browsing, you shouldn't need to use Java, Silverlight or
Javascript. All of those are too powerful to let random web sites execute
on your local machine.

It's different if a trusted server is using your browser as an app platform.
I am not a great fan of that either because there aren't great tools in
Firefox to separate sites into ones that are providing trusted apps as
opposed to everyone else. (Noscript comes close, but seems a bit fragile
to me.) This can be an inexpensive way to provide apps that run on a lot
of platforms, so I see why people do it.